20110502

Working with and in New Media


I started out early on a Sunday with these readings and thought the video would be the best way to start. At first, I thought Zittrain was a little too American for me to relate; talking about the differences between the US east and west coasts. He then presented the case of a cardboard robot released into New York City, relying on passers-by to direct it to its destination. I was immediately interested in this event and thought Zittrain had some good metaphor regarding this to present his lesson or point of view, but he didn’t. He started talking about the east and west coasts again and I lost a little more interested. I think he took a long time to get to a proper point behind his lecture. Mostly this presentation was like others I’ve seen myself, a display of many different and innovative ways the Internet is used. Gill’s research looked towards a utopian Internet with opportunities for work and expression for all who’re online. I feel much of the net is going in this greatly beneficial direction but every time I read Youtube comments or stumble upon a forum, I find people posting deeply offensive and aggravating things and wonder if a lot of these people might ruin the Internet for so many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment