20110328

"This I Believe..."

This week hosted the topic Taylor (his blog is here: http://taylorcasu.blogspot.com/ - he talks a lot about music which I can relate to) and I did our presentation on New Media, Beliefs, Politics and Ethics, so I feel like I have extra to talk about here. I can post the links I talked about but obviously couldn't post in the speech.

Top 15 Web Hoaxes: http://mashable.com/2009/07/15/internet-hoaxes/
Walken for President: www.Walken2008.com

I find this online culture of sorts to be very interesting. Once, mankind had myths and legends where now we have online hoaxes. I've had probably too many conversations with friends about methods of fixing scratched game CDs or building makeshift weaponry (jokingly, of course) which were discovered online. Naturally, I've decided that putting toothpaste all over my old San Andreas disc isn't worth the risk. I thought about this in conjunction with the politics-focused first reading for the week. Clearly there's been plenty of passionately organised meetings focused on various political stances and beliefs, but I wonder if any that have been empowered by New Media turned out to be hoaxes too (similar to Walken2008 but more serious). It seems to me that there's significant risk if this is the case, as history shows how politics without New Media can be so devastating.

No comments:

Post a Comment