20110410

Omnipresent Media

New media is literally everywhere. There are screens on an amazing number of surfaces my favourite places around Brisbane. And with the vast amount of information that can be present on any screen, we have the potential to see almost anything, anywhere.
Deuze's claim is that media are "building blocks". I wanted to think that he was overstating media's role and presence but the more I thought about it the more I agreed. There are days where I'm too busy to socially network like I would otherwise and I think of these as like little vacations but even on these days I end up checking facebook and the end of the day and watching television at some point. I associate media with the newest things like wi fi and social network but forget about television and radio especially. Media is always there.
This is also apparent in China, which Genevieve Bell mentions with stats like "100 million messages per day" on mobile phones in China. This reminded me of a movie called Global Metal, a documentary about the heavy metal scene in non-English speaking countries and how, in China, for years the genre was virtually non-existent and now, with the spreading of new media, the people there have more freedom and the ability to share in media from around the world.


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1249171/

No comments:

Post a Comment